It’s been a long time since I’ve posted in this “what I learned” series hosted by Emily Freeman over at chatting at the sky. So by way of a brief introduction, here are her words:
At the end of every month, we have a regular practice here of looking back before moving forward. While some of the deeper, more in-process things I may keep private for a while, other things are fun to share here. And when you share things you’ve been learning, I always discover lots of fun tips, great new books and shows, and encouraging thoughts to begin the month.
We’re all at different spots on the journey, and these end of the month posts are a way to reflect, share, and celebrate on purpose.
1. Whitney Houston died in 2012. Yes, I am slightly behind the times with this news, but hey, twins. Who were born in 2010. I lost a lot of my being-in-touch-with-news over their first two years especially.
2. In some churches, the pastor’s wife is called the “First Lady”. For real. Since I’m the wife of an associate pastor, would that make me the “Second Lady”?
3. You have to click “See All” to make Facebook messages full-screen on your laptop.
4. Don’t only listen to kids’ music in the car. It’ll drive you crazy, and they need the variety of exposure to your music. And so do I need the sanity that comes from listening to Jack Johnson instead of another round of Raffi.
5. A good purse is hard to find. (But I have one right now that I love from Stella and Dot. Shameless plug for my friend Maria.) It’s the “How Does She Do It” bag. Appropriately named. They’ve discontinued the pewter one I have, but this Navy Ikat is also a nice option.
6. Jamberries (nail wraps) last longer when using their mini-heater. Available for purchase for only $19. Worth it, and another shameless plug for my friend Karen.
7. Arbonne’s SeaSource Detox Spa Gelee works wonders on achy muscles (after, say, you fall on your bum on the ice … hard!). A shout-out to my friend Liz who’s running a good sale today.
8. Turning off alerts on my phone gives space for a lot more calm (cutting out a lot of unnecessary stress that I feel when I feel the urgency of that text alert … which often keeps me from focusing on what’s important in that moment, like giving full attention to the book I’m reading with my daughter).
9. When buying paints for my girls, also buy a container of wipes. 32 is about the right number per painting session. (#LessonsLearnedTheHardWay)
10. Vanilla Ice’s real name is Robert Van Winkle. How about that? And he was arrested for burglary this month. Which he, of course, is disputing.
11. Sometimes the unwanted rearrangements of life/schedule can help you rediscover the parts of your life you’ve taken for granted. Like our litany of illness-into-epic-snowstorms forcing me to focus on my family and to learn to love my home, prayers I’ve been praying for a long time.